that Integrate Reading, Social Studies, and Music
By Chris and Jamie, Many-Strings
September Assembly: "Honoring Native Americans Through Their Music: Emphasis on San Diego County and Southern California
October Assembly: "Seasonal Halloween Music for Fun and Fluency"
December Assembly: "Festive Seasonal Music"
- Vocabulary and Comprehension through classic winter songs (Sung in Cherokee, German, French, Spanish, and English)
- Historical Option - San Diego County Mission and North American Native American Music (Sing in Luiseno, Spanish, and English)
January Assembly: "Celebrating America’s Diversity”
- Musical Traditions of the Black Slaves
- Mexican, Caribbean, Irish, French, and Middle Eastern music
February Assembly: "American History through Music”
- Black History Month Focus: African traditions, music of the black slaves, and the music of the Civil Rights Movement
- Patriotic Music as a primary source for United States history
- Historical Option - The Music of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln
Musical Experiences and Reading = An outstanding opportunity to increase:
We provide the music, your students enjoy a rich reading experience!
Especially effective for English learners and students with learning challenges
"In 2005, SAT takers with coursework/experience in music performance scored 56 points higher on the verbal portion of the test and 39 points higher on the math portion than students with no coursework or experience in the arts. ”
Source: MENC/National Organization for Music Education